I don’t know how you feel about garlic, but I am definitely obsessed with it. I will admit that not too long ago, I was avoiding everything garlic flavoured because of its strong flavour. But now, I simply don’t care anymore. I discovered that garlic makes food much, much tasty – pretty much all the foods, except sweets.
I discovered this garlic sauce when I was eating at a pizza restaurant and I promised myself that I will make my own garlic sauce recipe. And here it is!
This garlic sauce recipe is super quick and easy to put together. Here’s what you will need:
Servings: for3 people | Prep. Time: 10 mins | Waiting Time: n/a | Cook Time: n/a | Difficulty: Easy
- 150 grams of sour cream (or Greek yoghurt – although the yoghurt is slightly sweeter and thicker than sour cream);
- 100 grams of mayonnaise;
- 3 large garlic cloves – smashed;
- a good pinch of salt.
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
The basic thing that you have to remember about this recipe is that it’s all about half/half ratio. You can add more sour cream if you want a lighter tasting garlic sauce, or less garlic if you want a less flavoured sauce.
It also depends on how strong flavoured your garlic is; you might end up using more or fewer garlic cloves. Also, don’t use dried garlic! Dried garlic is not as flavoured as fresh garlic is, so you won’t get that true garlic taste with dried garlic.
Related: Your Fool-Proof Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
This garlic sauce recipe has just 2 or 3 steps and here they are:
1. Mix the yogurt and mayonnaise together.
2. Smash your garlic cloves – if you haven’t already.
3. Add a pinch of salt to the freshly smashed garlic cloves. Mix well applying some pressure. The reason why you want to do this is because the salt will soften the garlic and will bring up all the juice inside of it. This will help the garlic flavour infuse better and faster with the yogurt and sour cream mixture.
4. Add the garlic to the yogurt & mayonnaise mixture and enjoy your own homemade garlic sauce! You can also add some more salt if you feel so, or even a few drops of lemon juice if you want your sauce sourer.
This is one of my favourite sauces and it goes with everything: chips, pizza, roast, barbecue and so on. Basically, any fat food will go well with this sauce because of the garlic and sour cream.
Also check out my remoulade sauce recipe, pretty close to this one, no garlic, but still tasty.
Related: Homemade Remoulade Sauce Recipe
Let me know if you tried this garlic sauce recipe and if you love it as much as I do!
looks yummy! thanks for sharing!
This is very similar to how I make an “aioli” – soooo good and yes, very addicting!
So ‘aioli’ is some sort of garlic sauce too?
yep. It’s traditionally made with eggs, but often you”’ see it made with mayo instead
This sounds amazing! I put garlic in everything, but I’ve never really made a sauce before. I’ll definitely have to try it!
Haha, I add garlic to everything too. Let me know how the sauce turned out for you.
Sounds so good! What’s your favorite thing to use it with?
To be honest, I think I would spread it on plain bread and eat it like that, haha. But I usually like to have it with foods that have lots of fat (like chips or quatro formaggi pizza, etc) because the garlic brings a nice balance.
That sounds AMAZING. can’t wait to try!!
Hope you’ll like it, Taylor!