I bet there are a lot of pizza lovers around here! Let me tell you a secret: delicious pizza does not have to always be round. Yep, you read that right. A while ago I made some pizza braids and they turned out way too delicious to not share the recipe with you. They do have a little more dough than a regular pizza (the topping is inside), but they are amazing.
I went for tonno e cipolla, which is basically tuna, red onion and corn. But you can choose whatever toppings you want.
Easy Pizza Brainds
Servings: 3 | Prep. Time: 30 mins | Waiting Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Difficulty: Medium
- about 500 grams of pizza dough – here’s my homemade pizza dough recipe
- 100 grams of tuna (strained)
- 50 grams of corn
- 150 grams mozzarella
- some tomato sauce (I used 3-4 tablespoons for each braid)
- a small red onion, diced
- one egg
Start by forming 3 (as much as possible) equal rectangles. Cut an ‘L’ shape at the top and bottom corners. Cut the edges of the rectangle in 1.5 cm wide strips, leaving the middle untouched – there will go the pizza topping.
Related: Best Homemade Pizza Dough
1. Add a few tablespoons of tomato sauce on the uncut area of the rectangle. Don’t add too much because it will all come out when you’ll braid the dough.
2. Grade some mozzarella over the tomato sauce. And here you can get a little naughty by adding some extra mozzarella. Extra mozzarella didn’t hurt anyone.
3. Add a few tablespoons of tuna. Or more.
4. And the corn.
5. Top with the slices of red onion.
Now is time to start braiding
Start by flipping over the topping the square-ish ends of the dough. After that, start braiding the lateral stripes. It is just like a regular braid, to be hones. You just cross the stripes one over the other until you’re out of stripes.
Now let them rise up for 30 mins or so, or until they get nice and fluffy. Also, you can turn on the oven now at 170 degrees C.
Crack an egg and brush is over the braids.
Bake them for about 20 minute or until they are nice, golden brown. I though to try these with unsweetened pastry as well, but I didn’t get the chance so far. If you do, please let me know how they turned out!
Take them out of the oven, let them cool for just a few minutes, cut ’em and enjoy a very nice, crispy, yummy pizza braid! Serve them with some more tomato sauce or whatever sauce your heart desire. I suggest you try them with some garlic sauce.
Related: Homemade Garlic Sauce Recipe
Let me know how these pizza braids turned out for you and what’s your favourite pizza topping!