Today I want to share a quick and easy sauce recipe, that is very versatile and can be used for various dishes.
You need only four ingredients and and about 10 minutes (or less) to make it.
Shall we begin?
Quantity: approx. 250 grams | Prep. Time: 10 mins | Waiting Time: n/a | Difficulty: Easy
- 150 grams classic mustard (no flavourings)
- 40 grams honey (2 tbs)
- 60 ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tbs sugar
- Add the mustard in a large bowl and mix it well with the runny honey. If your honey isn’t runny, put it in a tiny bowl and let the bowl sit in hot water for a couple of minutes – the honey will melt, but be careful to not over heat it.
- Once the two ingredients are mixed well, slowly pour the oil. Mix well using a whisk or a hand mixer.
- When the oil is absorbed, add the sugar and mix until its melted.
Keep reading for further insights about the recipe!
I suggest to use only classic mustard, for this recipe, Dijon mustard also works well – if you like the slightly stronger flavour. But if you want to keep this recipe vegan, keep in mind that Dijon mustard might not be vegan.
While I’m not sure if honey is considered vegan or not, it can be substituted with maple syrup. Although, the flavour is very different from honey. This recipe is based on using honey, but if you are very strict about your diet, then substitute it by all means.
This dressing is slightly darker in colour (based on which type of honey you use) and it’s shiny and runnier that regular mustard.
I would say this sweet mustard dressing is ideal if you don’t really like the taste of mustard. The sweeteners and the oil will make the mustard flavour milder, which I personally love.
I had a long debate with myself if I should add sugar in this recipe or not. In the end, I decided that a tablespoon of sugar is not that bad and it really helps with the texture of the dressing – it makes it runnier.
How to Use it
This recipe can be used mostly as a dressing, I would say, since it’s quite liquid.
It’s very versatile and can be used for a lot of different dishes. Here are some ideas:
- use it as a dressing for salads – cold, potato salad is amazing with this sweet mustard dressing
- goes marvellous with steaks
- works on burgers (vegetarian or not)
- or you can use it as a regular dip sauce with some baked potato wedges
It stores well in a jar in the fridge for a while. It never lasted long enough to go bad, so I don’t know to tell you exactly for how long it lasts.
Told you it’s easy! I hope you found some inspiration on how to bring some extra flavour to your next dish!
If you’re looking for some extra ideas for dips and dressings, check out these recipes too!
This is one of my favorite dressing. Yes that is true sweet mustard dressing is ideal if you don’t really like the taste of mustard.
Honey mustard is one of my favorite dressings and dipping sauces! I love it paired with basically everything, and this looks so simple.
I’ve always just called this honey mustard! It’s one of my favorite dressings/dips. It’s so versatile. I love to dip chicken nuggets in it or put it on salads. It’s super delicious!
We also call it honey mustard – that’s usually for the store bought version.
Yum! Honey mustard is one of my go-to salad dressings but I never thought to make it myself – looks like it’s not too hard! I may have to give it a go 🙂
Yum! This sounds delicious 😋 I’ll have to give it a try!